Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hey, it's been a while


Hello all you non-existing blog readers of mine. The last month has been one of triumph and sadness but over all happiness has endured and is coming back full force. Ah but you see this is not a personal life and blah blog so I shall persevere and come back with a food all about blog(typo and it's staying). Shall we talk about food?! I think we shall!
Oh dear have I become a love sick school child over this wonder food...I find myself longing for it at the most inopportune of moments. Oh yes this food of my heart is none other than falafel. Yes my dear foodies and lovers of cuisine I have fallen a victim to this Egyptian ball of beans, but god damn it tickles my fancy! Also having just jumped a bit deeper in the world of healthier/raw eating enjoyment this food is a wonder to have around. And just so you know! Traditionally these babies are deep fried into balls of love and ecstasy but Pam happens to bake them in hopes of making herself less guilty about any raw indiscretions:)
Garbanzo Beans(Chickpeas for those of you who don't like fancy talk like me)+Fava Beans+other awesome awesomeness= Falafel! So I reckon your fine ass may want to know how to make falafel, WELL NOW! I do believe I can hook a brotha up.
I've been playing around with various recipes both traditional and nontraditional and I have discovered that you can't make a great thing much greater so here is what I have discovered to be the bestest of the best!
  • 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Eff that step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to yo satisfaction) in medium bowl. Add flour.

A food processor works wonders, you want a paste texture

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

From here you can bake at 375 for 40 minutes or fried at 350 for 5-7 minutes. KEEP IN MIND more flour may be needed if the paste isn't binding properly.


Now I want you to try this magic patty on salad, with tahini, with hummus, on salad, in a pita with tomatos and lettuce and tahini or any which way you please!!!! Fo realz though its the shizzy.
Hope you thoroughly enjoy these balls of love and until I feel it necessary I bid you good eating!

2 comments:

  1. hey! i'm not non-existant!! well at least i think i am!

    i looooovvvvveeee me some falafel! its magical :]

    i really need to make these soooon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete