Saturday, April 17, 2010

Finding Peace throught Music


I decided to take this time to talk about musics influence on my body and mind. I know many chefs/cooks/who cares that feel less stress if they are able to listen to their music at work. I know this one wicked pissah dudeguy that gets so engulfed in his music, it's like a trance and the music understands him and his problems. If you allow yourself to let go of all your inhibitions the music will take you on journey of enlightenment and self discovery.
I know to some people this all sounds nuts because music isn't essential to them and that makes me sad. I cannot picture my life without music, or sound altogether, it's a powerful stress reliever. Especially when I am at work, if the kitchen has only the sounds of ovens, hoods, dishwashers, slamming pots and pans, my god I would go insane! There are kitchen folk that believe music is distraction and there should be no noise but I say screw em'! My life in general needs that distraction(if thats what it's going to be referred as). For example: Three years and one month ago when my Grammy passed away the only album that I listened to was Continuum by John Mayer. His lyrics throughout the whole thing were soothing and a sort of healing for me. Especially in Gravity, actually most of the songs had lyrics that felt right for what I was going through. To this day if I feel very sad about her passing those songs helps, and I'll never get over her dying. And forever I won't be able to listen to George Winstons December without picturing her on Thanksgiving or Christmas bustling through the tight spaced house with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and our family gathering and just being together. It's not like that anymore.
And now I am crying, way to go Pam. Though I have found it to be true, some music just speaks to people during certain periods of their lives, a death, a birth, new love, old friends, memories, family traditions, any of those things have a soundtrack for me. If I hear for example, Riding in my Car by NRBQ I instantly think of my dad because he loves that song, played it a lot, and brought me to see NRBQ when I was twelve on the common in Downtown Springfield. If I hear and song by En Vogue or Salt N' Peppa I am instantly sent back to a memory of riding in my moms red Nissan using a flashlight from her glove box and belting out and of those songs with both my mom and sister as my band mates. I use music as a portal to a fonder memory or a dream of mine I hope to reach.
I thrive off of music, it is a beautiful gift from the many talented and wonderful people who create it and share it with us. Listen to your favorite song after reading this and just take a small moment for yourself to relax and let it all sink in.
"If music be the food of love, play on."

No comments:

Post a Comment